Monday, August 4, 2008

How I Mounted Goldie, Saved My Partner Lori, and Sniffed Out the People's Justice


That's the title of my most recent story sale to Escape Pod. I haven't talked about EP here, but if you haven't checked it out, you should. EP is a weekly science fiction podcast produced by Steve Eley, a world-class Good Guy. It's a very successful program, and Steve regularly brings his listeners audio versions of stories from the likes of Mike Resnick, Cory Doctorow, Robert Silverberg, Elizabeth Bear, Paul DiFilipo and Isaac Asimov. When Steve was just starting out, he came to me for the very first story he ever published, a nasty little piece called "Imperial." It's a source of unending pride to me that Steve launched his popular enterprise with one of my stories, and that he continues to let me do reviews, even though I'm very irregular about it and my reviews frequently result in flame wars. (For a taste, go to EP and check out the response to my review of "300.")

The reading on "Goldie" is better than I could have hoped for. Steve and Dr. Jennifer Bowie captured exactly what I was trying to do, and both story and reading have been getting great reviews on the EP blog (which can be a pretty tough crowd).

2 comments:

Boyd Jones said...

Absolutely great story! Best EP story I have heard in a long time. I sincerely hope the first in a series of Officer Bull adventure stories!

xtyalis said...

Jonathon, this was a really enjoyable story. Loved Officer Bull!